If there is one thing that parents around the world can agree on is that
EDUCATION IS KEY
We make tremendous sacrifices to make sure that our kids get the best education and the best learning opportunities our money & influence can afford.
But as a parent, I don't just want to give my children a good education. I want them
TO DO SOMETHING WITH IT!!
I want them to have this amazing, super alive brain that empowers them to problem solve, to think creatively and to be resilient in the face of adversity. I want my daughters to THRIVE NOT JUST SURVIVE through their childhood education years.
So, where does one start?
For me - it starts with healthy, regular, smooth, brown poops.
Our gut is not just a hosepipe for our waste. It's our second brain.
If our child's gut is healthy, she's going to be less susceptible to catching every virus & infection out there. This is because more than 70% of our immune cells are made in our gut. And less illness, means less sick days. And less sick days means more learning, more play, more exploring, more relationship building.
Our gut also produces 90% of our serotonin - which is the neurotransmitter responsible for well-being, happiness, memory, learning and sleep. The implications of this fact on education are massive. It basically ties a healthy gut to the very definition of a well-rounded, alert, enthusiastic & good student.
So, how do we keep that gut healthy?
- FEED YOUR CHILD LIVE FOOD. We have to move away from DEAD FOOD e.g. packaged snacks, goldfish crackers, fake cheese slices; and move towards LIVE FOOD like oranges, tomatoes, cucumbers and berries. If you don't get the diet right, there isn't a child's multivitamin out there that will help you set things right.
- PROBIOTICS. The other thing that I do religiously with my girls is supplement with a good quality PROBIOTIC. (I personally have had great experience with Natren & NFH).
In my opinion, all children should be on probiotics, but particularly if your child:
- is suffering from asthma, eczema, psoriasis, food allergies or intolerances, constipation; or
- suffers from recurring ear infections or seems to be home sick a lot; or
- if your child (like so many) has already had more than her fair share of antibiotics and prescription medication; or
- if your child was born via c-section and as a result did not benefit from inheriting your flora (as happens with babies born vaginally)....
Then I would highly encourage you to invest time & effort in nurturing her second brain. Feed your child premium fuel with LIVE FOOD. And swap the Flinstone vitamins for a good quality PROBIOTIC.
Because it's not just about the best education money can buy.
IT'S ABOUT THE FIRE IN THEIR BELLY.
Thrive Nutrition Practice is run by holistic nutritionist Cristina Tahoces, DHN.