It struck me this morning that children have hangovers too....
Yesterday was my daughter's birthday party. And whilst the menu was about as grain-free, refined sugar free as could possibly be, we all still had a healthy sugar overdose from the birthday cake, almond-meal chocolate chip cookies, popcorn and delicious date-sweetened pomegranate-lime juice.
So, today the girls have been....hmmm....what's the word?
Petulant? Annoying? Incapable of independent play? Groggy? Unreasonable?
I could go on but I've got to put dinner on.
The centrepiece for dinner tonight is going to be CHICKEN BROTH.
Sugar depletes our body of minerals like calcium & magnesium.
And broth is an extremely cost-efficient and delicious way of re-mineralizing our body with these minerals and many more. It also can help give your child a much needed immunity boost, which is also needed after a sugar overdose.
The benefits of chicken broth never cease to amaze me:
- When cooked, chicken releases an amino acid called cysteine, which helps to breakdown proteins found in the mucous that settles in the lungs.
- Cysteine converts to glutathione, a very powerful antioxidant, that not only protects your from the negative effects of free radicals -- it also carries nutrients to your immune system cells.
- Carrots, one of the typical vegetable ingredients found in chicken soup, are the best natural source of beta-carotene, the precursor for Vitamin A. Vitamin A helps fight off infections by giving your white blood cells a boost.
- Chicken broth also contains loads of minerals in a form the body can absorb easily—e.g. calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, silicon, sulphur and trace minerals.
Sounds like a superfood?
You bet! Here's the recipe:
- 800g hormone-free chicken feet or other cheap joints
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 tbspns unpasteurized apple cider
- knob of ginger
- 1/2 tspn pepper
- bunch of parsley
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2L water approx.
- bit of salt & pepper
Put it all in a pot and let boil for 24 hrs. I usually do it in two 12 hour stints.
THE ULTIMATE SUGAR HANGOVER CURE.
Don't head into birthday party season without it.
Thrive Nutrition Practice is owned by holistic nutritionist, Cristina Tahoces, DHN. Join her Facebook Group "Thrive Nutrition Practice" for daily nutrition insights and special promotions.