The adrenals are these beautiful, voluptuous walnut-shaped glands that are responsible for producing the hormones we need to deal with stress. Unfortunately, our fast-paced, modern lifestyle has caused a bit of a communications breakdown with these glands.
They say, "maca". We say "coffee".
They say "berries". We say "blueberry muffin".
And eventually after years of being abused and ignored, our adrenals pack it in and tell us they want out of this crappy relationship. They want respect, empathy and a little understanding.
They want breakfast!
No more of this margarine slapped on a piece of multigrain, wolfed down while you rush to the local Starbucks for a tall skinny latte. That just makes your adrenals so angry, they spend the rest of the day making you feel tired, short-tempered and even more stressed.
Show your adrenals how much you love & need them by giving them this breakfast of champions:
- 2 poached eggs (2-3 minutes). For instructions, click here.
- 9 cherry tomatoes, 1/2 small avocado, 1/2 bell pepper, some lettuce or spinach if you've got some
- pumpkin seeds. (I like these)
- extra virgin olive oil & a lemon squeeze
Make the poached eggs according to the instructions.
Chop up the tomatoes, small avocado & yellow pepper & put them on your bed of greens. Sprinkle the seeds on top and season with the olive oil & lemon juice. Serve with the poached eggs. And enjoy with a cup of maca!
Believe me, your adrenals will thank you for this because:
- Eggs are packed full of B-vitamins which are crucial for optimal adrenal function. And please don't stress about cholesterol. We'll talk about cholesterol soon, but the link between eggs and heart disease has been comprehensively uncoupled by the scientific community. (Read this for more.) Plus, cholesterol is the base from which all our hormones are produced.
- Tomatoes & bell peppers are super rich in Vitamin C and did you know that the adrenals are the organ that house the most amount of VitC in the body? They can't get enough VitC because this vitamin is crucial for the production of cortisol.
- Pumpkin seeds are rich in magnesium and zinc -- much needed stress-busting minerals.
- Avocados are also rich in B vitamins, VitC, VitE and healthy fats -- and healthy fats are crucial for optimal hormone production.
Make time for breakfast my friends! This one takes 10 minutes.
Plus this breakfast showers your adrenals with love and affection and sets you up for a successful day!
And who knows what you might still have energy for later....
Thrive Nutrition Practice launches in Spring 2016