I got some great feedback on my colloidal silver gargle for sore throats and I couldn't be happier! The best success rate comes when you start to gargle as soon as you feel the itchiness come on. But if you've already got a full blown cold and are looking for a natural remedy to relieve congestion -- this is my go-to. Cup your palm and drop in the following essential oils. (Warning -- this is potent!)
- a few drops of jojoba oil (or coconut oil)
- 3-4 drops eucalyptus oil
- 3-4 drops peppermint oil
- 3 drops lavender oil
- 2 drops thieves oil
- 2 drops lemon oil
ADULTS: Vigorously rub your chest with the mix using both hands. And then cup your hands over your nose and mouth and inhale deeply a few times.
KIDS & BABIES: Rub on to soles of feet. If they're over 5yrs, you can rub the oils onto their back. My oldest is 7 and I can put a bit on her chest without her complaining (too badly).
WHY THESE OILS?
- Jojoba is a good base because it has no scent and is well absorbed by the skin.
- Eucalyptus is great for expelling phlegm and has immune boosting properties.
- Peppermint is - in my experience - the most powerful at cutting through mucous blockages and opening the sinus passages.
- Lavender oil is soothing, reduces anxiety and helps with sleep.
- Thieves from the Young Living line of essential oils is a blend of 5 therapeutic grade essential oils. It supports healthy lung and sinus function.
- Lemon oil is great for soothing coughs and helps with lymphatic drainage.
N.B. As a rule, you should always try to buy essential oils that are 100% pure so that you can be sure they haven't been diluted with any nasty ingredients.
Next week on Thrive: Why healthy eating is NOT about having to give anything up. Don't believe me? You will...
Thrive Nutrition Practice launches Spring 2016